Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tears, tantrums and pickles

Have you ever had a craving for something and thought to yourself "I must pick some of that up when I am at the supermarket again"? Well getting a craving when you are pregnant is like be possessed by a very scary 4 year old child demanding a kinder surprise at the supermarket checkout. It takes over, all you can think about is that particular item of food. Sometimes it isn't even food...

I believe a beautiful friend of mine nearly jumped over a boost juice counter when they told her they "didn't do just orange juice with pulp" (yes Kimi I may be talking about you =)...

I once had a craving for pickles that was so strong I nearly knocked over a little old lady in the supermarket to get to that golden jar. I would have eaten them then and there in the "condiments, pasta sauce and of course pickle" aisle but my wonderful boyfriend (although he risked losing an eye) wouldn't let me.

It is hard to explain (and I can quite confidently say that I though it was all a lot of bogus before I fell pregnant) but it takes over your brain and you have to have it. And they come at the most unusual times. Just the other day I woke up with an instant craving for a vanilla sponge cupcake with pink icing...

Now all these cravings aren't really being so helpful when it comes to not trying to gain too much weight whilst this little peanut grows inside me (oh god even my unborn baby has a reference to food) but at least on the upside I also cannot get enough fruit. In the beginning I ate half a watermelon in one sitting, quickly following by a couple of mango's. And then I would proceed to moan and groan about how crap I felt and I how much I hated "him" (the boyfriend) for getting me pregnant. I can only assume he is now very relieved that I am no longer suffering morning sickness.

However, that was short lived after he realised he would now have to be prepared for me bursting into tears after reading soppy wedding proposals...

No comments:

Post a Comment